Remember 3 months ago when I said I would be starting a series of shorter posts that would occur more frequently? I had every intention of following through on that, but things like watching Downton Abbey* marathon-style have gotten in the way. Anyway, back to the Snippets. (Click here for Introduction to CC’s Snippets).
I’ve had some interesting encounters with creatures this summer. Nothing crazy, like lions and tigers and bears, oh my, but nevertheless, there was some potential for danger.
1) First, my brother, my mom’s dog and myself all had the bright idea to sit on a bench while visiting my parents’ farm. This wasn’t an ordinary bench. This was a special bench with a beehive attached to the bottom of the seat. Fun! All three of us got stung by fairly irate bees containing an extra helping of extra potent poison. It hurt. For a long time. I’ll spare you the pictures of my sting, seeing as how, at the time, I could’ve won the “Palest Woman in the World (Except for Hermits)” award.
2) Next, on the same trip, we found this little bugger. See if you can spot the eyes. He’s looking at you!
3) On a recent trip with my family and some of our lifelong friends (Hey, Alaska Crew!), I was sitting outside with everyone else, looking at the stars and unknowingly spilling s’mores down the front of my shirt when it happened. I was discussing a great TV show about animal & insect infestation with our friend Cloudy (Hi, Cloudy!), when suddenly I felt a tickle on my little piggie that went to market (i.e., one of my toes). In what I can only describe as an instinctual, uncontrollable foot shaking spell, I tried desperately to fling the mystery creature from my leg into the deep, dark wilderness. Or at least onto someone else’s leg. Cloudy still had his wits about him, so he gained control over the leg and threw the evil-doer to the ground. Then he told me it was a scorpion. Scorpion?? At first I thought I could’ve died, but then everyone assured me a bite would’ve been painful, but not life threatening. Here’s the scorpion post-mortem. I think at least 3 people were involved in his murder.
4) On the same trip, several of us were in the water when a snake, in the very same water, swam by us. I think I can deal with a snake on land, but a snake in water isn’t ideal. I’m gonna start swimming in a shark cage (one with really little holes, of course).
5) This isn’t an exotic creature, but I couldn’t help notice the resemblance to Peter Pan or a soldier. She means business.
*If you watch this, you know what I’m talking about. Can you believe that Mary…and what a horrid person O’Brien is…and isn’t Matthew just the cutest??…and what about when Bates confessed to you know what…and did you cry when they agreed to help that one person with that one medical condition…and….poor, poor Edith. Nobody cares about Edith.
This wasn’t even close to the desired length of a CC’s Snippet. It’s really difficult to share a picture or story without adding useless commentary. Please be patient; this is going to take some getting used to.